Indiana McCaslins

Frederic Emil BrownAge: 70 years19432014

Frederic Emil Brown
Birth July 9, 1943 28 27
BS, MS & Law Degree/University Of Alaska/Stanford/Columbia

Death of a paternal grandfatherFrederic Dill Brown
November 1, 1956 (Age 13 years)
Source: S471
Burial of a paternal grandfatherFrederic Dill Brown
November 3, 1956 (Age 13 years)
Note: Lakewood Cemetery, Lot 244 Section 30 Grave 3; Find A Grave Memorial# 35443396
Death of a paternal grandmotherChristine McCaslin
March 29, 1958 (Age 14 years)
Source: S472
Note: Died at daughters home (Fredica Brown Bishop), 2802 W 40th Street, of liver cancer.
Burial of a paternal grandmotherChristine McCaslin
March 31, 1958 (Age 14 years)
Note: Lakewood Cemetery, Lot 224 Section 30 Grave 4; Find A Grave Memorial# 35242649
Occupation August 8, 1958 (Age 15 years)
Note: General Amateur radio license
Death of a motherAlvi Vieno Ojennus
November 21, 1976 (Age 33 years)
Source: Find a Grave
Note: Aspirus Ontonagon Hospital
Burial of a motherAlvi Vieno Ojennus
after November 21, 1976 (Age 33 years)
Source: Find a Grave
Note: Bruce Crossing Cemetery (Find A Grave Memorial# 166539477)
Death of a fatherJames McCaslin Brown
August 3, 2006 (Age 63 years)
Alaskan Legislator, Attorney at Law

Death June 26, 2014 (Age 70 years)

Family with parents - View this family
Frederic Emil Brown
Birth: July 9, 1943 28 27Anchorage, Matanuska-Susitna, Alaska
Death: June 26, 2014Anchorage, Matanuska-Susitna, Alaska
Family with Private - View this family
Frederic Emil Brown
Birth: July 9, 1943 28 27Anchorage, Matanuska-Susitna, Alaska
Death: June 26, 2014Anchorage, Matanuska-Susitna, Alaska
Private + Private - View this family
wife’s husband


General Amateur radio license

Shared note

IM on Saturday 19 March 2005 - A beautiful Saturday. The dog-mushers competing in the 2d heat of the Open North American are going to have a wonderful time, as will their dogs. Oldest competitive dogsled race in the world. Started in 1946, when I was not quite 3, during the Fairbanks Winter Carnival, in the same week when I had my first dogsled ride -- on Leonhard Seppala's sled !! Father -- then about half my age now -- also took Seppala's photo and the moment he did, he knew it was the finest portrait he'd ever take and make. It's never sold or allowed to be shown for royalties Instead, over the years, Father has almost-constantly (until his losses of some abilities in his mid-80s) been doing his own style of photo-finishing and giving the portrait only to family, photographers, dog-mushers, and musicians -- and, yes, one of them WAS purchased. By the King of Norway for his museum. Father's 90th birthday will be May 19. I have a Rotary conference at that time in Anchorage, so I'm hoping to attend the Rotary event and visit Father on his birthday. Years ago he said he'd want a Harley Davidson motorcycle for his 90th, so I'm hoping to find some kind of pewter miniature of a Harley for him (over the years family has given him Harley belts, t-shirts, jackets, caps, etc...)

I've been attending to my blood pressure very religiously ever since hypertension was diagnosed by Dr. Akiyama in Juneau while I was in the legislature. Considering the stress and pressure on a party leater in a legislature, it's good that my regimen of medication began that early in my life. When people say I have high blood pressure I respond that I don't, because I've kept it low with medication over the last 30 years. Dr. Carl Thomas and I learned from my experimentation that one old and one new drug taken together hold my BP at around 110 over 70. Then, about 2 years later CNN's medical news folks were reporting this great breakthrough about mixing older and current-blocker-technology for treatment of hypertension. I told Carl that he and I should get a Nobel Prize now for discovering this. My combination is Diavan and one-half of an already-tiny hydrochlorothiazide (Dyazide). Well, it's after noon and I need to help Helen tidy up the place, because her tax clients will start coming to the door pretty soon.

Fred developed early onset Alzheimer's Disease in 2007.

Helen Brown's letter of 13 Jun 2014: My trip back to Alaska to visit Fred and other relatives and friends went well. I did not get to see Paul and Robin as they were leaving for Japan and did not want to take a cold with them. But I did see Jim and Gladys, George and Shelly and Dean. Also saw Mary G, truly extended family in Fairbanks (Dean's brother's widow). I also saw a lot of friends in Fairbanks and Anchorage. Then on my way back to Tucson I visited with my younger (now a grandfather) godson and his parents in Seattle. The non-Fred highlights were being in the last 2 Shakespeare plays I had not read in the Bard-a-Thon setting, a party held for me in Fairbanks and whale watching with dean off Seward. Lots of whales. Lots of dal(sp) dahl(sp) doll(sp) porpoises riding our bow waves. I saw Fred 7 times, several times he was asleep, once just settling in for his nap so I read him to sleep. But several times he was awake. he did better when I visited him with someone else along. When it was just the 2 of us he quickly lost interest, but when there was a conversation to follow he followed it. On one occasion I told a joke and he laughed. On one occasion the old Fred showed through. I was explaining to our Friend about a particularly egregious piece of legislation that had just passed the Arizona Legislature and was awaiting action by the Governor. It would allow (and encourage) school teachers, including grade school teachers, to carry guns to school to 'protect' the students. So there would be no accidents the teachers were to lock the guns in their desks. (We may here stop and picture a teacher asking an armed invader to please wait a moment while he unlocked his desk and withdrew his gun so they could reenact the Shootout at the OK Schoolhouse. We may also here stop and picture what will happen when the teacher has to leave the room for longer than 90 seconds. Obviously the Republican majority in the Arizona Legislature did not attend the same 5th grade class you and I attended.) Fred, who had not said a full sentence in my hearing since 2012 said, "Tha...tha...that's a bad, bad, bad, bad, BAD law." Four years after being hospitalized with Alzheimer's and he still has a better grasp of bad legislation than the Arizona Legislature.

Fred died Thursday afternoon 26 Jun 2014 in Anchorage, Alaska. He had suffered from Alzheimer's Disease.

Obituary - The Daily News-Miner - August 5, 2014 Fred Brown Former Alaska legislator Fred Brown, D-Fairbanks, died of Alzhiemer's June 27, 2014, at Denali Center just short of his 71st birthday. Very few of us get the chance to do the one thing we really want. Fred's greatest joy was representing Fairbanks in the Alaska House of Representatives from 1975 through 1982. Over the years he served as House Minority Leader and chaired Labor and Management, Commerce, Judiciary and the Select Committee on Telecommunications, putting Alaska at the forefront of satellite telecommunications. He later served on the State Central Committee of the Democratic Party. Fred's love of Alaskan politics began in 1956 when his eighth grade class, including future legislator Georgiana Lincoln, observed the Constitutional Convention at the University of Alaska. Born in Anchorage, his family moved to Fairbanks when he was an infant. In his mind it was an idyllic childhood, packs of casually supervised children running through Railroad Employee Housing, playing baseball through endless days of summer, each game lasting until Shirley Big Joe hit a homer into the river. After school he'd go to the fire station to slide down the fire pole. Others remember a harsher Fairbanks from the 1940s, but his stories were of first kisses in kindergarten, a girlfriend in second grade, Boy Scout camp, producing a mimeographed neighborhood newspaper and reading a play of his own on live radio. Friendships forged then lasted a lifetime. Fred was a man who made commitments easily, but never lightly. In 1959 he became an amateur radio operator and, along with his father and brother, joined the city band and helped found the Fairbanks Symphony Orchestra. Thinking he would find players for the orchestra, 15-year-old Fred became its first membership chair. When he learned he needed to sell memberships he got on his bicycle, rode off and raised money to rent a rehearsal hall and sheet music and buy ads. Fifty years later, the last musician left from that original orchestra, he played his final concert. Fred returned to Alaska in the summers during his years in graduate school. As an amateur radio operator he helped with emergency communications after the 1964 Good Friday earthquake and the 1967 Fairbanks flood, receiving an American Radio Relay citation for his efforts. After law school, Fred returned home and began a law practice that continued until 2007, helping many people with legal challenges large and small. He continued to play music for the orchestra, the city band and the Fairbanks Light Opera Theatre. He served on boards for the orchestra, the Arctic Amateur Radio Club and the Tundra Times. In 1971 he became the science correspondent for the Tundra Times, providing coverage of the Amchitka atomic blast. On the bus trip back someone looked out of the bus window and asked what kind of ducks those were. Soto Vocce Fred replied "radioactive ducks." He met fellow political activist, Helen Rae Wiegert Steadman and they married in 1972. He is survived by Helen, now of Tucson, brother and Jim (Gladys) Brown of Anchorage, sister-in-law Dean Brown of Wasilla, nieces Robin (Paul) Riendl of Anchorage, Shelly Brown (George Hearin) of Wasilla, and family member Mary Gatzkiwicz of Fairbanks. A Memorial service will be at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church, 3 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 10, followed by a finger food potluck in the parish hall. A wake will be in the Community Center of Raven Landing that evening from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests contributions to the Fairbanks Symphony Orchestra in Fred's honor.